Do you plan to pursue a PG in UK after MBBS in India? In that case, the United Kingdom is one of the best countries for you to study a medical PG course. The United Kingdom is one of the best countries in the world to study medicine, irrespective of the course being a general medical course or a medical PG course. The quality of medical education offered by the colleges in the UK is among the top in the world. Learn more about MD in UK after MBBS in India, Cost of Medical PG in UK and Medical PG without PLAB in UK and other details.
Why PG in UK After MBBS in India?
The UK is considered one of the best destinations for pursuing medical PG not only for Indian MBBS graduates but also for other international students wishing to pursue higher studies in medicine. Many Indian MBBS students don’t want to enter the race of NEET-PG to pursue a medical PG course in India. Students who have already cleared NEET, which is one of the most challenging examinations in India, understand how difficult it is to secure a good rank in NEET-PG to get admitted to a good medical college in India.
To overcome this situation and to pursue a post-graduate medical course from a reputed medical college, MBBS students in India tend to look towards foreign countries for better opportunities. Among those countries, the UK is one of the best possible destinations because of its quality of medical education and modern teaching methods.
If you dream of pursuing a Medical PG in UK after MBBS in India, you have come to the right place. Keep on reading further to know all the details regarding studying a MD in UK After MBBS in India.
Medical PG in UK – Highlights
If you are looking to pursue a medical PG course from a foreign country, many reasons will make you want to choose the United Kingdom for studying PG after MBBS in India. Some of the reasons are mentioned below:
- The UK is one of the best countries around the globe to pursue a medical degree, especially a post-graduate medical degree.
- The medical colleges in the UK are highly reputed worldwide. They are recognized by almost all the international medical agencies like WHO (World Health Organization), ICMRA, Pan American Health Organization, World Health Assembly, NMC, International Red Cross, and others.
- Medical degrees, especially PG medical degrees, obtained from the UK are accepted by almost all the countries in the world and are accredited by all the required medical councils globally.
- After obtaining a medical PG degree from a medical college in the UK, you will get several avenues of work in various fields.
- A doctor with a medical PG degree from the UK will receive a higher salary and better pay when compared to other medical professionals from other developed countries like the USA, Australia, Canada, and Russia.
- While studying in a medical college in the UK to pursue your medical PG degree, you will be exposed to advanced learning methods, international standards of medical education, cutting-edge medical advancements, and modern technologies in the field of medicine.
- After you have finished your PG medicine in UK or any other PG courses in UK after MBBS in India, you will join many prestigious medical societies in the UK like MRCS, FRCS, MRCP, and FRCP.
- The Indian Medical Association has approved all the medical colleges in the UK. This means that you can easily come back to India to practice medicine after pursuing a medical PG course in the UK.
Top Specializations offered by PG medical colleges in UK
- Internal Medicine.
- Medical Oncology.
- Psychiatric Medicine.
Top PG medical colleges in UK
- The University of Oxford.
- The University of Birmingham.
- The University of Cambridge.
- University College London.
- The Queen Mary University of London.
- The University of Aberdeen.
- The University of Glasgow.
- The University of Edinburgh.
- Newcastle University.
- The University of Manchester.
- Imperial College London.
- The University of St. Andrews.
- King’s College of London.
How to Apply for PG in UK ?
There are two ways by which you can apply for admission to a medical college in the UK to pursue your UK medical PG.
After completing your MBBS course in India and finishing your internship requirements, you become eligible to apply for studying a medical PG degree in the UK. A few universities require you to pass the PLAB Test (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) to make you eligible to pursue a medical PG course in the UK. Some universities do not require the PLAB test. Whether you need to or don’t need to sit for the PLAB test depends on the medical college you require admission to. So, it is highly advised that you properly check the admission requirements of the medical college before you apply.
Along with that, you will also have to pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS Exam) and score above 7.0 to be eligible to apply for admission to a PG medical course in the UK.
PLAB (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) Test
The UK conducts the PLAB exam to test the skills, ability, and knowledge of doctors who have obtained their medical degrees in a country other than the UK. Many medical colleges in the UK require you to pass the PLAB test to apply for admission to a PG medical course.
Details of the PLAB test:
- The PLAB test is a two-part test. You need to pass PLAB part 1 and PLAB part 2 to be eligible to apply for a medical PG in the UK.
- Before the PLAB test, you will have to set up your GMC Online Account. Over there, you will have to furnish the details of your MBBS degree and the score you obtained in the IELTS Exam.
- Once the details of your MBBS degree and your IELTS exam score is verified in your GMC Online account, you can apply to sit for the PLAB part 1 exam.
- The PLAB part 1 test is a written multiple-choice questions (MCQ) exam with 180 questions. The duration of this exam is 3 hours. You can check for the details and locations of this exam when you log in to GMC Online.
- The PLAB part 2 test is an OSCE (objective structured clinical exam). You will get 18 scenarios of 8 minutes each where you will have to reflect on real-life situations, including acute wards or mock consultations. You can sit for the PLAB part 2 test at the clinical assessment centers of GMC.
- If you pass both parts of PLAB, you will get a passing certificate.
Medical PG in UK without PLAB
Few medical colleges in the UK accept admission to medical PG courses without the requirement of the PLAB test. Each university has its own set of requirements that you will have to qualify to apply for a seat without the PLAB test. Candidates are to check the eligibility criteria and requirements properly before applying. It would help if you also were sure to check the duration of work experience and internship that may be required to apply for admission.
If you wish to pursue your medical PG degree without sitting for the PLAB test, you need to apply for admission as early as possible because the seats are pretty less compared to seats for PLAB qualified students.
Every university has a different eligibility criterion and a different admission timeline, but mentioned below are a few requirements that generally apply to all the medical colleges in the UK for admission to a medical PG course without PLAB:
- The medical college from where you have received your MBBS degree should be internationally recognized.
- After completing your MBBS, you should have a work experience of at least two years. Along with that, you should also have completed your 1-year internship at a hospital.
- You should have a valid registration with the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- It would be best if you had not appeared for the PLAB test. If you have appeared for the PLAB test and failed, many medical colleges in the UK won’t accept your application.
- It would help if you did not have any unexplained gaps in your career after you have completed your MBBS.
- You should have an IELTS exam score of at least 7.0.
Process of Application for MD in UK after MBBS in India
Almost all the medical colleges in the UK have different and separate application processes. You can follow the generic process mentioned below to ensure that you get admitted to the university from where you wish to pursue your medical PG degree.
- Visit the university’s official website where you want to get admitted and make sure you understand the requirements correctly.
- Apply for the IELTS exam and make sure you score at least 7.0. Almost all the medical colleges in the UK require a score of 7.0 in the IELTS exam.
- If you want to apply via the PLAB test, create your GMC Online Account and furnish all the correct details. After verification, you will be able to sit for the PLAB part 1 and 2 tests.
- If you want to apply without the PLAB test, you should apply via the university’s official website and make sure you fulfill all the requirements.
- You should upload the relevant documents after submitting your application.
- Depending on the medical college, you may or may be called for an interview.
- After finishing the above process, you will get an invitation letter if you are selected.
- You should apply for a student visa based on the invitation letter as soon as possible and fly to pursue your MD in UK after MBBS in India
More Options for PG in UK After MBBS from India- Affordable
There are other options for pursuing Medical PG in the UK at an affordable cost. If you are worried about the high cost of medical PG in the UK and looking for cheaper options, please get in touch with us. Our counselors will explain the alternative options for Medical PG in the UK.
For Medical PG Admission in UK Admission Assistance,
Please Call/Whatsapp 8086000842
Conclusion: We hope this article about PG in UK after MBBS in India Cost and MD in UK after MBBS in India has helped you. If you have any suggestions or comments, please use the comment box to contact us.