Public Health is related to the field of science that helps protect people’s health and the communities where they dwell. It is associated with the prevention of the spread of diseases by encouraging a healthy lifestyle and wellness in small communities and large populations. It also includes researching infectious diseases and developing methods to curb the spread of those diseases, especially in larger communities. Public Health also consists of the education of communities in terms of physical wellbeing, hygiene, preventive measures, and government health policies.Public health is also associated with vaccination drives, access to healthy food, warning against the risks of smoking & tobacco, and limiting health disparities. Read more about PhD in Public Health in India Part time & Full time, Universities conducting Epidemiology PhD in India etc in this article.
More About PhD in Public Health in India
A Ph.D. in Public Health is the highest academic qualification that can be obtained by a student in the field of public health. Ph.D. in Public Health is a research-oriented doctoral course that can be pursued in either a full-time or part-time format. The duration of a Ph.D. in public health is three years to 5 years. A doctorate in Public Health is offered by many reputed universities in India like the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS, Mumbai), Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE, Manipal), Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health (JNU, Delhi), and others.
If you have completed your master’s degree in a discipline related to health or public health, a PhD in public health is a good option to enhance your skills and knowledge.It is also considered one of the most sought-after PhD courses for individuals who want to work as government advisors on health and public wellbeing.
PhD in Public Health Course Duration
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a doctoral degree of 3 years to 5 years. Public Health PhD is offered in part time and full time in India. After completing a full-time master’s course like M.A./ M.Sc./ M.Phil, it can be studied from a government-recognized university. While studying PhD , you will have to perform unique research in public health and submit a thesis to the university. Students who have completed their master’s degree in a relevant discipline and are looking to indulge in research & practice in the field of public health or public wellbeing should opt for a PhD in public health. It is also a good option for students who wish to teach public health in reputed universities of India and abroad. After obtaining a PhD in public health, you can also be hired by a healthcare firm or a pharmaceutical firm as they actively look to employ research-oriented individuals in the field of health & wellbeing.
While you are pursuing a Ph.D. in public health in India, you will have various choices for research that you can choose from depending on your interest. Some of the most sought-after research topics are epidemiology, Urbanization & Health, Gender & Health, Health Economics, and others.
Why Should You Study Ph.D. in Public Health?
After obtaining a Ph.D. in public health, you will have various career aspects to choose from. The points mentioned below showcase some of the benefits of pursuing a PhD in public health:
- While pursuing a PhD in public health, you will get the chance to study various topics related to public health, public wellbeing, and healthcare governance.
- You will be exposed to interdisciplinary learning methods, practical application, modern methodology in healthcare, application of AI/ ML in healthcare, public health ethics, and other technologies in the field of public health & wellbeing.
- While pursuing a PhD in public health, you can collaborate with various academic professors, government agencies, healthcare firms, and NGOs.
- You will get immense practical fieldwork opportunities while pursuing a PhD in public health.
- If you want to work with NGOs to make people’s lives better in health and hygiene, you should opt for a PhD in public health.
- After obtaining your PhD in public health, you can apply to work as a health advisor to various government agencies and NGOs.
- You can apply to work as a professor in public health in a reputed university in India and abroad.
- After completing a PhD in public health, you can also opt to work in the corporate sector in either healthcare firms or pharmaceutical firms.
Top Universities for PhD in Public Health in India
Many universities in India offer a PhD in public health. Mentioned below are a few of them:
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health (JNU, Delhi).
- The University of Hyderabad.
- Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Indian Institute of Public Health, Delhi.
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE, Manipal).
- SRM University.
- Department of Community Medicine (BHU, Varanasi).
- School of Public Health (KIIT, Bhubaneshwar).
- Indian Institute of Public Health, Gandhinagar.
- KLE University, Belgaum.
- Amity University.
Eligibility for PhD in Public Health
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a PhD in public health are mentioned below. A student needs to meet the eligibility criteria to apply for admission to a university for studying Ph.D. in public health.
- The student should have a valid bachelor’s course from a university approved by the UGC.
- The student should have completed a master’s degree (M.A./ M.Sc./ M.Phil./ MPH/ MHA) in a relevant field of study from a government-recognized university.
- He/ She should have secured a minimum of 55% marks in the master’s degree. Reserved category students get a relaxation of either 5% or 10% depending on various universities.
- The student will have to clear an entrance test as mandated by the university. Some common entrance tests for a PhD in public health are UGC NET, UGC JRF, TISS-RAT, BHU-RET, and others.
- Few universities also require some work experience in the field of healthcare.
Fees for PhD in Public Health
Every university has a different fee structure for PhD in public health. The general tuition fee for PhD in public health ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000 annually. You should properly check the fee structure of the university on its official website before applying.
Research Areas in PhD in Public Health
A few research areas that you can consider as per your interest while pursuing a PhD in public health are mentioned below:
- Health Interventions.
- Urbanization & Health.
- Health Economics.
- Quality of Health & Hospital Services.
- Public Health& Technology.
- Application of AI/ ML in Public Health.
- Health Education &Communication.
- Tribal Health Issues.
- Health Inequities.
Admission Process for PhD in Public Health
Every university has a different admission process, and it is advised that you keep checking the university’s official website for the current admission process. The generic step-by-step admission process for PhD in public health that is applicable for the majority of universities is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the university and check all the eligibility details.
- Step 2: Fill the application form online and make sure you furnish all the details correctly.
- Step 3: For the majority of universities, you will have to sit for an entrance exam. You will have to clear the entrance exam as required by the university.
- Step 4:If you clear the entrance exam, you will be called for a personal interview at the university. Your admission will depend on your overall performance in the entrance examination and interview.
- Step 5:Once you have cleared the interview, you will be offered a seat to pursue PhD in public health.
Entrance Exam for PhD in Public Health
If you want to pursue a PhD in public health, you will have to clear specific entrance tests. The university mandates the entrance test for PhD admission. As different universities have different entrance exam requirements, you should check the university’s official website that you are applying to. Details about entrance exams for admission to PhD in public health are mentioned below:
|The majority of universities in India.
|The majority of universities in India.
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS, Mumbai)
|Department of Community Medicine (BHU, Varanasi)
|All India PhD Manipal Entrance Test (MET)
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE, Manipal)
|Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health (JNU, Delhi)
Career Options after PhD in Public Health
After you have obtained a PhD in public health, you can expect a salary of somewhere between ₹ 3,00,000 to ₹ 8,00,000 per annum. Mentioned below are a few job roles that you may be offered after you have completed your PhD in public health.
- Public Health Analyst.
- Public Health Researcher.
- Public Health Economist.
- Public Health Research Epidemiologist.
- Public Health Education Officer.
- Public Health Planning Officer.
- Public Health Consultant.
- Public Health Advisor in various government agencies.
- NGO – Public Health Advisor.
Conclusion: We Hope this article about PhD in Public Health in India has helped you. Your suggestions and feedback are welcome.
If you are looking for Part time or Full time PhD in India Kindly contact us for admission assistance.
Click Here to Send your Enquiry
Also Read: Part Time PhD in India