NEET for Post Graduation Exam for MBBS Doctors in India.
NEET Post Graduate exam, or NEET PG Entrance Test, is the single crucial entrance gateway for gaining entry into postgraduate medical education in India leading up to the acquisition of coveted doctoral degrees like MD/MS and PG Diplomas. Read more about NEET for Post Graduation exam pattern, requirements and other details.
What is NEET Examfor Post Graduation?
NEET Exam for Post Graduation refers to the standard national-level admission test conducted annually by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) under the oversight of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. It is the solitary eligibility-cum-ranking examination for admission to various teaching institutions across India offering postgraduate NMC and AICTE-recognized medical programs. The key objective of NEET Post graduate exam is to ascertain the proficiency of the qualifying MBBS doctors by gauging their mastery over clinically-oriented knowledge and analytical and problem-solving abilities. The aim is to facilitate merit-based selection that benefits prospective postgraduate medical students, healthcare systems, and people by injecting high-quality physicians into clinical settings.
NEET for Post Graduation- Highlights
|National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Postgraduate
|National Board of Examinations (NBE)
|Level of Exam
|Postgraduate Level Entrance Examination
|MD/MS/Post MBBS Diplomas
|Exam Date 2024
|March-April 2024 (Tentative)
|Computer-based Test (Online)
|MBBS Degree + Internship Completion
|Merit in NEET PG exam
|Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) under DGHS
Evolution of NEET Exam for Postgraudation over the Years
Introduced in 2012, NEET PG has steadily evolved in its scope and implementation particulars over the passing years:
- 2012 to 2016: Offline pen-paper-based test
- 2017 to 2019: Exam mode changed to computer-based testing (CBT)
- 2020: NBE decides on a hybrid mix of CBT and paper modes
- 2021 & 2022: Back to complete CBT mode post-Covid, etc.
- 2023-2024- The exact method continues
The qualification bench (cutoff marks) has risen significantly in recent years – 209/1200 in 2022 against the previous 174 marks. The exam duration varies between 3 to 5 hours with single/two-shift schedules across approximately 200 national exam centers.
Programs where NEET PG is Mandatory
As notified by NMC, qualifying for NEET PG 2024 is compulsory before registration for post-MBBS broad & super specialty courses:
Not interested in NEET PG? Dont worry, Germany offers free Medical PG programs for MBBS Doctors from India. Work as a doctor and Earn Medical PG in Germany without tuition fees.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Master in Surgery (MS)
- PG Diploma Programs
- Post-doctoral DM – Doctorate of Medicine e.g. Neurology, Cardiology
- Post-doctoral MCh – Magister Chirurgiae e.g. Urology, Plastic Surgery
Hence, NEET PG opens doors to 38 disciplines under the MD/MS/PG Diploma and 10 DM/MCh fields.
Eligibility Criteria for NEET Exam for Postgraduation
The critical eligibility prerequisites for appearing in NEET Postgraduation are:
- Holding an MBBS degree from a recognized institute
- Mandatory 12 months of internship completion
- Possessing a permanent/provisional registration certificate
- Qualifying for final year MBBS examination
For reserved category applicants, there is a relaxation of 5% at the qualifying stage.
Application & Test Registration Timeline
NEET PG is conducted adhering to the following broad chronological flow:
- Application form release → November
- Last date for submissions → First week of January
- Issue of admit cards → March end
- Conduct of exam → First/second week of May
- Result declaration → Last week of May
- Counseling by MCC for admissions → Runs June to August
Any MBBS doctor wishing to pursue postgraduate studies must follow this application-to-counseling timeline systematically.
How to Apply for NEET Exam for Post Graduation 2024?
The NEET PG application involves:
- 1. Registration at the NBE website when forms reopen by November
- 2. Scheduling choice of test city
- 3. Uploading of scanned images and documents
- 4. Making online payment of exam fees
- 5. Printing filled application form for record
Exam Patterns and Syllabus Coverage
The complete assessment design of NEET PG comprises 800 marks evaluating candidates across the following parameters:
- 80% weight accorded from the core competency syllabus
- 15% weight accorded from recent advances
- 5% focus on diagnostic/interventional advances
The detailed breakup of the exam pattern is highlighted below:
|Marks per question
|No. of questions
|Part A – Basic Clinical Competency
|Part B – Recent Advancements
NEET PG exam test syllabus corresponds to the MBBS curriculum and encompasses topics like medicine, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc.
Importance & Significance of Good Rank
The rank/percentile secured in NEET PG plays a pivotal role in determining:
- Eligibility to participate in central counseling
- Category under which candidates become eligible – open versus quota
- Separate merit list for clinical postgraduation
- Option for colleges and courses as per rank during counselling
- Eligibility cutoffs for highly competitive super-speciality programs
Hence, candidates must strategize and prepare dedicatedly for scoring among the highest percentiles through this ‘single exam, multiple gains’ gateway.
Counselling Process and Merit Seats Matrix
Based on preferences filled and NEET PG rank, provisional allotment of seats classified under state quota (50% seats) and all-India quota (remaining 50%) happens via online counselling steered by Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) under DGHS.
In 2022, a total of 2,218 MD/MS/P.G Diploma seats were on offer under AIQ, along with 207 for DM/MCh super specialty courses.
Essential Documents for NEET PG Counselling
The documents required during NEET Post graduation counselling registration is:
- NEET PG admit card and result/rank letter
- Permanent/provisional medical registration certificate
- Final year MBBS mark sheets
- Class 10 certificate for age proof
- Copy of government-issued photo ID like Aadhar card/Driving License
Objective behind the National Test
Being the singular qualifying exam, NEET PG aims to:
- Bridge disparity between various universities
- Foster meritocracy and transparency
- Curb malpractices and money power
- Enhance overall quality metrics of medical education
- Address the shortage of physicians in India.
Tips to Prepare for NEET Post Graduate Exam
Some key preparation strategies for NEET PG include:
- Finish core textbook reading covering standard resources
- Solve 10+ years of NEET PG past question papers
- Take up targeted test series matching real exam standards
- Perform in-depth analysis of previous year cutoffs
- Maintain subject-wise preparation with more weightage on internal medicine
- Enhance MCQ solving speed with accuracy through mock tests.
NEET PG Special Stray Vacancy
The special stray vacancy round refers to an additional mop-up counseling round introduced after the main NEET PG counseling is completed. Its key goal is optimal seat filling by allowing participation from eligible candidates who register freshly only for stray vacancy rounds. MCC conducts it to let candidates tap last-minute vacancies arising from non-joining, resignations, etc., before course commencement.
By testing competencies through a uniform yardstick, NEET PG exam ensures only the most clinically oriented and technically sound candidates successfully qualify to pursue specialization. It prevents substandard postgraduates from passing out annually into the Indian healthcare system.
Institutes Don’t Accept the NEET PG Exam Score for medical PG admission
While most medical colleges and institutions in India accept NEET post graduation scores as criteria for admission, certain institutions do not accept NEET PG scores for medical PG admission. They may require separate entrance exams for PG admissions. Below are the institutes that do not accept NEET Postgraduation Exam scores.
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh
- All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)
- JIPMER, Puducherry
- NIMHANS Bengaluru
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences Lucknow,
- SCTIMST Thiruvananthapuram.
NEET for Post Graduation Exam FAQs
Can We Write the NEET For Post Graduation Exam Without MBBS?
No. NEET PG is conducted only for MBBS graduates, and this requirement must be fulfilled to sit the examination.
Why Is NEET PG Necessary?
NEET PG is required for admission into postgraduate medical programs across India. It is a common entrance examination for MD/MS/PG Diploma courses offered at different medical colleges and institutions throughout India.
What are the eligibility criteria for the NEET PG Exam?
Eligibility criteria for NEET PG include:
- Holding an MBBS degree.
- Having completed their internship by a specified date.
- Possessing provisional or permanent registration with the National Medical Commission of India (NMC) or State Medical Councils (SMCs).
What is the age limit for attending the NEET Post Graduation Exam?
No upper age limit exists for taking the NEET PG examination; however, candidates must fulfill educational and internship requirements before sitting the exam.
Will NEET PG be conducted in 2024?
The National Board of Examinations (NBE) sets the schedule and conduct of NEET PG; therefore, it is better to visit the official website of the NBE for updates regarding its scheduled administration in 2024.
Is NEET PG compulsory for Medical PG admissions?
NEET PG scores are essential in most postgraduate medical courses in India and for MD/MS/PG Diploma degree admissions. However, institutes like the AIIMS, SCTIMST Thiruvananthapuram, etc, conduct their examination for medical PG examination.
NEET PG plays an important role in the selection process and seat allotment of candidates for medical postgraduate courses in India. The Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) manages the counseling process and allocates seats under state and all-India and state quotas. The NEET Post Graduate exam ensures transparency and maintains high-quality medical education standards. The examination prevents substandard graduates from entering the healthcare system and addresses the shortage of postgraduate doctors in India. In short, the NEET exam for Postgraduation shapes the future of medical PG aspirants. It ensures the entry of clinically competent and technically sound professionals into specialized medical fields.