It is the dream of hundreds of thousands of Indian students to pursue a medical degree and become a Doctor. These Indian students sit for the NEET examination every year to achieve their dream of becoming a doctor, but less than 1% manages to make it through. The medical entrance examinations of India are so fierce and competitive that even the brightest students have a tough time clearing it in their first attempt. Russia MBBS for Indian students is the dream of many medical aspirants who want to study MBBS abroad. Read more about Admission procedure, Universities offering the lowest MBBS Fees in Russia, Visa etc.
If you also dream of becoming a medical doctor but think it is challenging to clear NEET, don’t worry because you are not alone. One of the best bets for you is to look outside India to pursue a medical degree, Russia being one of the top study destinations. If you have come to this page and are reading this article, you have managed to put forward your first step. Keep on reading, and you will get to know all the essential details required to pursue a medical degree in Russia.
Situated in between Europe and Asia, Russia has always been a vital political player in global affairs, acting as a buffer state between Central Asia and Western Europe. Today, as its economy has begun to develop rapidly, Russia has entered a new era of global competitiveness. The country that occupies the most landmass in Europe is acting as a rather sudden economic stimulus package to its Asian neighbours to pull them out of the slowdown. Doing so has left western Europeans feeling somewhat vulnerable, as they are left out in the cold when it comes to dealing with the rising economies of their former colonial possessions.
The interesting fact about Russia is that despite being an industrial powerhouse, it is home to the coldest climate on the planet. Moscow is surrounded by walls that have frozen for decades, and average temperatures can reach minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter. These extremes of weather are what make Russia such an interesting tourist destination, as not only does it provide tourists with an unusual experience, but it also provides a unique education about the differences in weather between various parts of the world.
Tourists travelling to Russia will certainly see a large number of attractions. Still, one of the greatest attractions for travelers to Russia is, without a doubt, the Winter Olympics, which takes place every February in Irkutsk, on the Caspian Sea. The Winter Olympics attracts millions of spectators, athletes, and enthusiasts from all around the world, who come to watch two hundred and fifty countries compete for the gold medal.
Given Russia’s recent medical field achievements, reduced mortality level, and developing vaccines like the Sputnik vaccine for life-threatening diseases like Covid -19, Medical education in Russia has its advantages compared to other countries offering medical education to Indian students.-this part may be given below.
Study MBBS in Russia- Highlights
|October – November
|Percentage of Marks Required
|50% in PCB
|3500 – 6500 USD /Year
|200 to 250 USD/Month
|Medium of Instruction
|English / Russian
|Approved by NMC and WHO
Study MBBS in Russia for Indian Students
Many Indian students who study at Russian medical colleges are prepared for advanced work once they finish their studies. Many of these students complete an internship in Russia and then return to the United States, UK, and Australia to continue their education. Many medical universities offer MBBS programs in Russia. These programs are quite similar to those offered in the United States and other parts of the world. These programs are extremely well-known and sought after by many doctors in the world.
Russia is emerging as one of the top countries where Indian students want to pursue a medical degree. There are two main reasons behind this. The first reason is that various Indian students wish to pursue a medical degree outside India for better academic exposure and career prospects.
The second reason is mentioned above: many Indian students don’t want to enter the rat race for NEET and other medical entrance exams. The Medical Council approves more than 50 medical universities of Russia of India. This means that if you obtain your medical degree from Russia, you can easily practice medicine in India.
Now, let’s talk about numbers. In terms of international study destinations, Russia currently ranks 8th in the world. Secondly, more than 30 medical universities of Russia rank among the best medical universities in the world as per the World Health Organization. Thirdly, around 10,000 Indian students are currently pursuing a medical degree in Russia, and the number will keep increasing.
Benefits of Studying MBBS in Russia
Mentioned below are some of the advantages of pursuing a medical degree in Russia for Indian students:
- The structure of MBBS in Russia is similar to India, and it is approved by the MCI (Medical Council of India). This ensures that after obtaining a medical degree from a Russian medical university, students don’t have to sit for any extra training. They can easily practice medicine anywhere in India and globally.
- The medical infrastructure of Russian medical universities is relatively superior compared to most of the medical universities in India. Medical universities in Russia use modern methods of teaching along with theoretical medical learning. There is a big focus on practical application. The study and understanding of cutting-edge medical techniques are also encouraged in Russia.
- Russians are very welcoming, especially towards Indians. Adding to that, the quality of life is good in Russia.
- Indian students don’t have to appear for either IELTS or TOEFL for admission in Russia. These language tests remove the extra burden of studying for these international entrance examinations.
- Most of the Russian Medical Universities don’t have any entrance tests for MBBS admission.
- The tuition fee and cost of living in Russia are pretty lower than other international study destinations in the world.
- Fantastic career prospects are offered to doctors who have obtained their medical degrees from Russian medical universities.
Top Medical Colleges in Russia
Smolensk State Medical University
Smolensk is one of the largest cities in Russia, known as Smolensk oblast. It is the second-largest city in the “Moscow Oblast” and is the administrative capital of the Russian Federation. Smolensk University is a complete medical university with academic facilities and research facilities ranked among the best in the world for its speciality. It attracts hundreds of international students each year who seek knowledge of cardiovascular sciences, obstetrics and gynaecology, neurology, and other related specialities. Some of the courses students can take include prerequisites in English language studies, anatomy, physiology, statistics, microbiology, and biochemistry.
Smolensk University has attracted international students to the campus through its quality of education and various scholarships. For the past two decades, Smolensk State University has conducted various quality research on cardiology, obstetrics and gynaecology, neurological disorders, and other areas. It has also been researching cardiovascular sciences for the past twenty years.
Mordovia State University
N P. Ogarev’s Mordovia State University can be found in the town of Saransk in the Russian region of Mordovia, Russia. The University offers various courses in medicine. The faculty and students are known to be committed and energetic towards their courses. Many students leave their reviews for the University, stating that they were impressed with the high level of education.
The University’s main campus is in the town of Severina, within the boundaries of Mordovia state university. This University is considered the leading institution for higher studies in Russia. Various medicine courses make this University unique. The student community at the university consists of over one hundred and seventy students from various countries, but most of them are from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Several Indian students enrol in the University every year.
A few of the top medical colleges located in Russia are mentioned below: Some of the colleges below have the lowest MBBS fees in Russia.
- Pirogov Medical University.
- Pavlov University.
- Smolensk State Medical University
- Mordovia State University
- First Moscow State Medical University.
- Novosibirsk State University.
- OMSK State Medical University.
- Bashkir State Medical University.
- Kazan State Medical University.
- Orenburg State Medical University.
- Ryazan State Medical University.
- Siberian State Medical University.
International Accreditation of Medical Universities in Russia
For any medical university, international accreditations are very important. International accreditations ensure that medical universities are complying with international standards of medicine. Along with that, it also provides the validity of medical degrees across the world.
The following international organizations accredit the majority of medical universities in Russia:
- NMC (National Medical Commission).
- WHO (World Health Organization).
- WFME (World Federation for Medical Education).
- Medical Council of India (MCI).
- International Medical Education Directory (IMED).
Tuition Fee of Medical Universities in Russia
The Government of Russia mostly handles education in Russia. This ensures that the tuition fee is not very exorbitant. The yearly tuition fee for pursuing a medical degree from Russia is around USD 3500 to USD 10000, i.e., around INR 2,50,000 to INR 7,00,00 per year depending on the medical university/ college.
This is quite low as compared to other international study destinations like the UK, the USA, Australia, South Africa, Germany, Canada, and others.
Cost of Living in Russia
The hostel fee, as well as the cost of living in Russia, is relatively cheap. Affordable living cost is one of the main benefits of pursuing a medical degree in Russia for Indian students. The charges mentioned below include staying, lodging, and food costs.
The hostel fee of living on-campus is around USD 100 to USD 200 per month, about INR 7,000 to INR 15,000. The medical universities in Russia have large campuses and hostels. If you apply early for a hostel room, you will most probably get it quickly.
If you decide to live off-campus, your expenses will be around USD 150 to USD 250 per month, about INR 10,000 to INR 18,000.
Eligibility Criteria for Russian MBBS
Mentioned below are the Eligibility requirements for studying MBBS in Russia:
- The student has to pass Class 12 with at least 50% marks.
- The student should have mandatorily studied English and PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) in Class 12.
- If the medical university has any entrance exam, the student has to clear it with the mandated score.
Admission Procedure for MBBS in Russia
The next step towards your education in Russia is by finding out about the admission procedure for your chosen colleges and universities. This can be done by searching the web or through the Russian study abroad consultants in India. It is important that you choose the right college because it is your passport to gain entry to a good medical education in Russia. You can find out information about the admission procedure and the courses and subjects offered in the various medical universities in Russia. You can also contact the Studysure team for the updated information about the colleges and institutions in Russia which offer medical education
For Indian students, the application procedure for applying to the medical universities of Russia is effortless and streamlined. Follow the steps mentioned below for applying:
- Step 1 – Visit the official website of the medical university/ medical college and check the eligibility criteria.
- Step 2 – If you fulfil the eligibility requirements, apply online on the official website. Along with that, upload all the mandatory documents.
- Step 3 – If the medical university has any entrance exam, you must sit for that and clear it.
- Step 4 –You will be intimated via a ‘Letter of Acceptance’ if you are selected.
- Step 5 – Visit the Embassy of Russia with the ‘Letter of Acceptance’ and your documents to apply for a student’s visa.
- Step 6 – Once you get your student’s visa, you will have to pay the admission fee and confirm your admission.
Mandatory Documents for MBBS in Russia
- Scorecard/ Result of Class 10 & Class 12 (10+2).
- Letter of Recommendation from last educational institution.
- Valid Passport.
- Valid Health Certificate.
- Medical Insurance.
- Vaccination Certificate of COVID-19.
- Passport size photographs.
- Valid Proof of family income.
- Proof of Indian citizenship.
- Other documents (as mandated by the university/ college).
As an Indian student, you will have to get a student visa to study MBBS degree from any Russian University. The first step towards the admissions process at the university is to submit your application form for registration. This is done in person or online. A student must be eighteen years of age or older to apply for admission to any Russian university. You must still fulfill all the admission requirements of the Russian University you are applying to, including completing the prescribed courses. Still, you must also present a valid passport and visa permit for Russia.
Lowest Russia MBBS Fee Structure
|Name of the University
|Yearly Tuition Fees
|Altai State Medical University
|Kursk State Medical University
|Dagestan State Medical University
|Syktyvkar State Medical University
|Far Eastern Federal University
|Tambov State University
|Kuban State Medical University
|Volgograd State Medical University
|Kazan State Medical University
|Mari State University
|Northern State Medical University
|Voronezh State Medical University
|St. Petersburg State Medical University
Disclaimer: The fee structure given above may not be exact. Studsure Consultants state that the tuition fees for studying MBBS in Russia for Indian students can be modified without prior notice to students. Contact us to find out the exact tuition fees, hostel fees, living costs, and other expenses in Russia. For Exact information about the fees structure of each university mentioned above, contact the university’s website.
MBBS in Russia for Indian Students –(FAQ)
- Can Indian students study MBBS in Russia?
Yes, Indian students can study MBBS in Russia. Currently, there are around 10000 students from India who are pursuing a medical degree in Russia.
- Is MBBS in Russia recognized by the MCI?
Yes, the MCI (Medical Council of India) recognizes the medical degrees obtained from Russian medical universities.
- How hard is it to get a visa for studying MBBS in Russia?
It is very easy to obtain a student’s visa for Russia if you have the ‘Letter of Acceptance’ from a Russian medical university.
- What is the fee of studying MBBS in Russia?
The yearly tuition fee of MBBS in Russia is around INR 2,50,000 to INR 7,00,00 depending on the medical university.
Are You Planning to Study MBBS in Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Italy, Canada, UK, Georgia or any other countries?
Contact Us for Admission Guidance and Assistance. Call/Whatsapp 8086000842