Are you looking to pursue a higher medical degree from a foreign country? If yes, you should consider Germany as your destination. It is one of the best countries around the globe to pursue a higher medical degree (Medical PG), especially if you are from India. Every year, thousands of international students visit Germany for higher education in the field of medicine. The rush for medical PG in Germany after MBBS in India is because of the excellent quality of medical education and the fantastic career prospects afterward.
So, if you are planning a medical PG in Germany, you have reached the best place for all the information. Keep on reading to know more about how you can pursue a higher medical degree in Germany, the top medical universities in Germany, the tuition fee, the cost of living, the eligibility criteria, FAQs, and other details.
Medical PG in Germany After MBBS – The Way towards a Better Medical Career
Germany is a country located in Europe and is a member of the European Union (EU). It is a developed first-world nation that is well-known for its medical advancements in medical education and cutting-edge medical technology. Hundreds of thousands of medical students from various countries apply to pursue a higher medical degree from German medical universities.
Germany has also become a top-priority study destination for Indian students who wish to pursue medical PG from a foreign country. The first reason behind that is the various advantages of pursuing a medical PG in Germany. The second reason is that medical students don’t want to enter the rat race of NEET-PG in India. So, if you have decided to pursue a higher medical degree from Germany, it is a great choice.
Why should you study Medical PG in Germany?
A few benefits of pursuing a medical PG in Germany are mentioned below. These reasons will surely compel you to drive your focus towards Germany to pursue a higher medical degree.
- World-class healthcare system – Germany ranks as one of the best healthcare systems around the globe. This is because of two major reasons. The first reason is that the quality of German medical education is among the best in the world. The second reason is that Germany leads the world in terms of developing cutting-edge medical equipment. Both these reasons attract thousands of international students to study and practice medicine in Germany.
- International Recognition – Almost all the medical universities in Germany are recognized by various international medical organizations like the WHO, the World Medical Association, the Red Cross, and others. The Medical Council of India (MCI) approves all the medical degrees obtained from Germany. This ensures that Indian students can practice medicine in India after pursuing a medical PG in Germany.
- Collaboration – In Germany, you will get a chance to collaborate with various medical experts and top medical companies in the world and get the opportunity to join renowned medical societies of Europe and OECD nations. Most of the medical PG students in Germany land jobs while collaborating with various hospitals and medical technology companies.
- Good Living Standards – German people have a very easy-going lifestyle, and they are very welcoming. The majority of international students in Germany have positive reviews about the quality of life and home-like feeling. The study environment is excellent, and other factors like low pollution, good public transport, low crime rate, and good climate are great additions.
- Easy Permanent Visa – You can quickly settle in Germany after you have completed your medical PG. Students who have lived long enough in Germany and have worked for at least three years can get a permanent visa for living in Germany.
- Good Career Prospects – After successfully obtaining your medical PG in Germany, you will be offered excellent career prospects in several medical fields. The average salary of medical professionals in Germany is quite high as compared to other European countries.
About Education in Germany;
Many people believe that education in Germany is quite expensive. In reality, education in Germany is most affordable or accessible and among the best in Europe. International students from different parts of the world, including India, make up a big part of the student population in Germany too.
A University in Germany isn’t just a school with a vast campus and dorms. The University of Germany also offers programs that can take you around Europe as well as many countries. German universities have a long tradition of building new leaders from within, which makes it a perfect place to go to school and learn.
Germany’s higher education system includes many famous universities and colleges. There are plenty of programs available to suit all different kinds of students. There are many subjects to choose from general medicine, surgery, Emergency medicine, Psychiatry, Family medicine, Forensic Medicine, etc., for medical PG in Germany. There are also lots of internationally acclaimed medical programs available for doing masters in medicine in Germany. So if you’re looking to pursue higher education in the field of medicine or Medical PG abroad, there’s no reason why you couldn’t find something to suit your needs in Germany.
German System for Medical PGs in Germany
Many German medical universities offer the complete MBBS program without any tuition fees. However, if you’re applying for MD-level in India immediately after MBBS, there are challenges with language learning and clarity.
Medical PG in Germany After MBBS Requirements
If you have studied MBBS in India and are thinking about pursuing a higher medical degree in a foreign country, Germany will be an excellent destination for you. German medical universities accept MBBS students from India, and currently, around five thousand Indian students are pursuing their medical PG in Germany.
There are a few requirements that MBBS students must fulfill to pursue a higher medical degree in Germany, but those requirements are not as challenging as NEET-PG. So, if you want to get out of the problematic completion in India, you can visit Germany to pursue your higher medical degree.
In addition to that, medical PG degrees obtained from Germany are approved by the NMC (National Medical Commission, India). This simply means that if you want to pursue a medical PG in Germany and practice medicine in India, you can do that without hassle or other qualifications.
Learn German up to the C1 level in Germany. To pursue Medical PG in Germany, you will need to obtain the confirmed Observer-ship at a German hospital. The observer-ship initially would last for one month. The observer ship would be extended to 6 months if necessary.
- Degree and Mark-sheet of MBBS.
- Class 12 Result.
- Class 10 Result.
- Letter of Motivation for pursuing MD in Germany.
- “Academic Recommendation Letter” from your last attended medical college.
- Valid Passport.
- Passport size photographs.
- Proof of German competency – A1& A2 Level.
- Proof of Indian citizenship.
- Health Certificate.
- Vaccination Certificate of COVID-19.
- Experience Certificate (If you have worked in a hospital).
- MBBS from a government-recognized medical college.
- At least 75% score at all academic stages.
- Good knowledge of English.
- Valid passport.
- “Motivation Letter.”
Top Medical Universities for Medical PG in Germany
Mentioned below are the top medical universities in Germany. These universities are ranked among the top 200 clinical medical universities in the world.
- Heidelberg University.
- The University of Munich.
- Humboldt-Universitätzu Berlin.
- FreieUniversität Berlin.
- University of Hamburg.
- Hannover Medical School.
- University of Duisburg-Essen.
- University of Kiel.
- Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen.
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
Medical PG in Germany – Cost of Education
As the government funds the majority of German medical universities, the tuition fee for pursuing medical PG is relatively less compared to other developed nations. While the average tuition fee is different for different specializations, it lies around € 500 to € 1,500 per semester. If you decide to pursue medical PG from a private university, it will cost quite a lot.
Along with your studies, you will have to work as a medical intern, where you will be paid a monthly stipend of around € 1,000 to € 1,200.
Cost of Living
Along with the low cost of education, Germany is also known for its affordable cost of accommodation. You can decide to either live off-campus or live on-campus.
- On-campus: Hostels charge around € 400 to € 600 per month for dwelling and food.
- Off-campus: € 700 to € 900 per month, including accommodation, food, and transportation.
Cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, and Frankfurt are pretty expensive if you wish to live around the city center. Its recommended that you apply for a hostel room while applying for admission.
How to Pursue Medical PG in Germany?
Follow the steps mentioned below to pursue medical PG in Germany:
- Step 1 – Before applying for admission, students have to clear the A1 and A2 levels of the German language test. These exams are pretty basic and can be cleared after studying for two months to 3 months.
- Step 2 – You will have to visit Germany to study the C1 level of the German language. You will need an ‘Admission Letter’ from a government-approved test center.
- Step 3 – After obtaining the C1 level certification, you will have to get an ‘observership’ from a government-authorized hospital in Germany. Your admission to a medical university will be based on the ‘observership’.
- Step 4 – You will have to go through the ‘Approbation System’ to get yourself registered as a registered medical practitioner in Germany. You will have to pass the ‘Approbation license exam.’
- Step 5 – After completing your medical PG, you will have to clear the Kenntnisprüfung Medical Exam.
A Different Route To Get Medical Pg in Germany
There are few advantages to pursuing a one-year Master in Healthcare Administration. Instead of pursuing TELC B2 or C1 level language programs, you can also take this alternative route. This program is taught in English. Indian doctors can also learn German during this time. This allows them to stay connected with many hospitals and makes them a strong competitor.
To be eligible for Medical Doctor PG in Germany, the doctor must complete four programs within the first two years.
- You can learn A1 and A2 level German language to be eligible for Visa.
- 1-year Master’s (if you feel confident in learning the language) or an MBA in Healthcare Management
- While completing the course, learn German language learning up to the C1 level.
- Observership in a German Hospital
- Approval Application to convert a temporary German medical license into a permanent one. This will allow you to apply for residency for MD/MS.
- For Neurosurgery, the residency period is three years minimum and 5.5 years maximum.
Stipend for Medical PG in Germany
The stipend is EUR 2,400 per month (Around INR 1.85 Lac) to the doctors pursuing residency/Clinical PG in Germany. After average expenses, a student can save around 14 lakhs in a year during the residency period.
Germany Work Search Visa
After completing a one-year Masters’s program, an Indian doctor can apply for a work permit for 18 months. This standard immigration rule is for people who have completed a Masters’s degree (MHM) or MIB in Germany. This rule allows you to remain in Germany during this time. The German medical authorities will approve your application for a license. This approval is done through the German office. To pursue PG Medicine in Germany, the student must ensure that they have cleared the language test.
The recommendation letter from the doctor received during the observership, and personal interview at the hospital suggests that the doctor could continue his residency in Germany (minimum three years depending on the specialty). He is eligible to receive the Board-certified MD degree from the German medical council after completing his residency.
Average Salary in Germany
Individuals who want to settle in Germany can check the salary structure after completing an MS or MD course in Germany. The doctor would make around Rs. 80 Lacs per year towards the salary of the hospital as MD/MS in Germany. Many Indian doctors have chosen this route after completing MBBS in India. Indian doctors prefer the MD medicine course in Germany because of its low cost and guaranteed observership in German hospitals.
Medical PG in Germany Cost
After MBBS in India, the Medical PG in Germany process takes approximately one year. The expense comes around INR 26 Lakhs.
Medical PG in Germany –(FAQ)
- Can I pursue a medical PG in Germany with my MBBS from India?
Yes, you can pursue a higher medical degree in Germany after MBBS in India.
- Is Medical PG in Germany approved by the NMC/ MCI?
Yes, medical PG in Germany is approved by the NMC & MCI.
- Do I need to know German to study medical PG in Germany?
Yes, you need to have a level A1 or level A2 certification in the German language to pursue medical PG in Germany.
- Is German Medical PG Valid in India?
Currently, The Postgraduate medical degrees of only five English-speaking countries, namely the USA, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, are approved by the National Medical Commission of India. Medical UG and PG Degrees from other countries, such as Germany, France, Switzerland, or Russia, are not treated equally with Indian degrees. But it is accepted in Europe and other countries.
- How Can I Apply for a Medical PG in Germany?
Getting an Observer-ship approved by a German hospital is the first step to pursuing a medical PG in Germany. The German Medical Council should give this authorization. The observer-ship lasts for one month, but it is extendable up to six months in some instances. Register to become a German Medical Practitioner by going through the ‘Approbation System.’
- What is the Duration of Medical PG in Germany?
The duration of medical PG studies in Germany is three to four years. But generally, It all depends on the area of specialization. German Universities offer well-equipped medical facilities to help students improve their professional skills.
Related Posts: PG in Germany After MBBS from Russia, China
Why Studysure for Medical PG in Germany?
As one of the best Medical PG in Germany Consultants in India we can provide assistance for Medical PG admission in Germany after completing your MBBS from India and other countries. Contact us for more details and information.
Whatsapp/Call 8086000842 Or Send Your Enquiry