PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is the highest academic degree than can be obtained by an individual in any field. A Degree of PhD can be obtained after an individual has completed a Degree of Masters in the concerned subject. PhD in Computer Science is the top academic qualification that an individual can earn in the field of Computer Science. Here we will discuss the eligibility for Ph.D. in Computer Science, Admission procedure, and top Universities in India, providing PhD in Computer Science after MSc, MCA, M Tech, and Mphil.
Everyone knows that today’s world is rapidly progressing towards the age of Computing Technology, and Computers have become a necessity for everyone. When there is demand, there must be supply, so this is the best time to pursue a PhD in Computer Science. There is a considerable demand for Computer Science experts all over India, and this expertise can be easily gained by pursuing a PhD in Computer Science.
After an individual has completed his or her Master’s Degree associated with Computer Science & Technology like M.Tech, M.Sc or MCA, he or she can opt for a PhD course in Computer Science. PhD in Computer Science is also excellent for candidates who are looking for Research Work in the field of Computers & Computing Technology.
PhD in Computer Science- Course Highlights
In today’s world of Computers, many computing fields have emerged, like Software Development, Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Quantum Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Electronic Circuitry, Digital Electronics, Nanotechnology, and others. The exponential growth in the field of Computer Science has created a sharp demand for experts in the field. If you want to be a part of the global revolution of computers, you should pursue a PhD in Computer Science.
The Doctorate requires independent research, coursework, and the final dissertation. As mentioned above, the course can be completed in a period of 3 years to 5 years.
The field of Computer Science & Computing Technology is endless. It can provide many great opportunities for all prospective candidates. So a PhD in Computer Science holds immense value right now, and it will also be precious in the foreseeable future. PhD in Computer Science offers candidates ample space and depth to conduct Research Work as there are lot of unchartered territories in the field of Computing. If you are looking to achieve something big in the field of Computer Science, then a PhD in Computer Science will be the best step for you.
PhD in Computer Science in India- Course Duration
PhD in Computer Science in India is a 3 year to the 5-year course, and it can be pursued in Full-Time mode as well as Part-Time mode. A candidate looking to pursue a PhD in Computer Science must hold a Master’s Degree in the field of Computer Science or Engineering. The fees of the course range from Ten Thousand Rupees to Three Lakh Rupees depending on the College or the University. In India, there are many amazing Colleges & Universities where a candidate can pursue a PhD in Computer Science.
Why Choose to Pursue a Doctorate Degree in Computer Science?
There are many good reasons as to why an individual should pursue a PhD in Computer Science.
- High Demand: The Demand for experts in the field of Computer Science & Technology is very high. Large MNCs look for PhD holders to fill their top positions. There is a 15% projected jump in the number of jobs in Computer Science that will require a Doctoral Degree by 2025.
- Research-Based Work: Many labs and Research-based companies are looking for PhD candidates in the field of Computer Science. It is an always-growing industry, and the demand will always be high.
- The Emergence of New Computing Fields: In today’s world, there is always a new field emerging in the sector of Computer Science. This trend is an excellent prospect for candidates who want to enter into a new domain. For this, a Ph.D. in Computer Science becomes very important.
- Starting Research-Based Companies: Computer Scientists who hold a PhD in Computer Science can very easily start their own Research Companies.
- Teaching: As mentioned above, the demand for Computer Science experts is high. With this demand increase, there is also an increase in demand for Expert Teachers who get paid very handsomely.
PhD in Computer Science- Benefits
There are ample advantages in pursuing a PhD in Computer Science.
- As mentioned above, the demand for Doctorate candidates in the field of Computer Science is very high and will keep on increasing.
- Computer Science is a fascinating field. It will never get old or boring.
- The number of computing fields for Research in Computer Science is very high. Some of the exciting areas are Artificial Intelligence, Nanotechnology, Quantum Computers, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Cloud Computing, Statistical Computing, Computation Biology, Robotics, Networking, and others.
- If it is someone’s dream of working in ISRO, NASA, or any other Space or Atomic agency, holding a PhD in Computer Science can be a huge plus point.
- The average monthly salary of a fresher after obtaining a PhD in Computer Science is about 50 Thousand to 2 Lakh Rupees.
- The prospect of working in a foreign location is also very high for candidates who hold a PhD in Computer Science.
PhD in Computer Science- Who Should Opt ?
- Anyone who holds a Master’s Degree in the field of Computer Science can opt to study PhD in Computer Science to increase his/her academic achievement.
- People who are looking to work at a top position in large tech companies should obtain a PhD in Computer Science.
- Those who want to pursue Research Work in technologies like Data Mining, Computational Procedures, Artificial Intelligence, Nanotechnology, Cloud Networking, Big Data, and others, you should opt for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.
- Those who want to become a teacher of Computer Science at Prestigious Universities; you should obtain a PhD in Computer Science.
Eligibility for PhD Course in Computer Science
Most of the students are confused about the eligibility conditions for pursuing PhD in Computer science. As per UGC norms, the students who have done MCA, M Tech, MSc & MPhil in Computer Science are eligible to join Ph.D. programs in computer science in any Universities in India if they fulfill other requirements like percentage of marks, pass in the entrance examination, etc.
PhD in Computer Science Eligibility Conditions are given below.
- A candidate must hold a Master’s Degree like M.Sc, M.Phil, M.Tech, or MCA in the field of Computer Science from a recognized University with at least 55% marks.
- For Reserved Category (SC, ST, PwD), the required marks is relaxed by 5% to 10% depending on the University.
- Certain Universities require the candidate to have passed Entrance Examination like CSIR NET, UGC NET or GATE.
PhD in Computer Science after MCA
Ph.D. is in computer science is the ultimate aim of most of the MCA students. A Ph.D. degree after MCA is highly beneficial as it provides you the research expertise over the topic and broadens the field of career prospects. The job prospects of the Ph.D. holders in computer science are broad, and Ph.D. degree after MCA provides a piece of in-depth knowledge about emerging areas of computer science.
How to Apply
- The majority of the Universities in India conduct their Entrance Examination for admission to a PhD course in Computer Science.
- To sit for the Entrance Examination, the candidate must hold all the prior qualifications.
- A Personal Interview follows the Entrance Exam at the University.
- Admission is granted on the basis of performance in the Entrance Test & Personal Interview.
- Candidates holding Research Grants from the Central Government or State Government may be exempted from the Entrance Test depending on the University.
List of Universities Offering PhD in Computer Science in India
Listed below are some of the best colleges and universities for PhD in computer science in India.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- The National Institute of Engineering, Mysore.
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science& Technology (IIEST), Kolkata.
- Lovely Professional University (LPU), Punjab.
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry.
- Chennai Mathematical Institute, Chennai.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- University College of Engineering, Hyderabad.
- Karunya University, Coimbatore.
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- Symbiosis Institute of Studies & Research (SICSR), Pune.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- Computer Hardware Engineer.
- Software Developer.
- Computer Network Architect.
- Information Research Scientist.
- Information Technology Manager.
- Data Modeler.
- Big Data Analyst.
- Security Architect.
- Computer Data Researcher & Analyst.
- University Professor
PhD in Computer Science: Part-Time
For candidates who are working somewhere and still want to pursue a Ph.D. in Computer Science can opt for the Part-Time mode of study. Part-Time mode of study means that the candidate can work somewhere else, and at the same time, he or she can obtain a PhD in Computer Science in India part time
The Part-Time PhD program is as good as a Full-Time PhD. You will need a NOC from your employer to pursue a Ph.D. in Computer Science in Part-Time mode.
If you are already teaching somewhere and you want to obtain a degree of Ph.D. in Computer Science while teaching, then the best option for you will be to pursue Part-Time mode of study.
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) offers a PhD in Computer Science in Distance Part-Time mode, where the duration is 5 years. It is one of the best universities to pursue a PhD in Computer Science by Distance Learning.
Listed below are the PhD research topics in computer science offered by Universities and other institutions in India. Latest research topics in computer science for PhD for 2023-2024 are available in most of the colleges/ Universities in India. Listed below are the research areas in computer science for PhD
- Artificial Intelligence.
- Big Data.
- Computational Data.
- Data Mining.
- Fuzzy Logic.
- Web Engineering.
- Cloud Computing.
- Computational Biology.
- Quantum Computing.
- Rough Set Theory.
- Simulation & Modeling.
Salary After Doctorate in Computer Science
The salary after obtaining a Ph.D. in Computer Science varies from topic to topic and institution to institution. However, on average, a fresher can earn anywhere between 50 Thousand to 2 Lakh Rupees. If the individual holds prior experience, he or she can make a very handsome salary.
PhD in Computer Science through Distance Education
The PhD program in computer science through distance education is invalid. You can do your PhD from the same place of your work but it is subject to certain conditions. The attendance for 6 months mandatory course work is compulsory for doing PhD through correspondence. You may contact IGNOU, IISc Bangalore, NIT etc for details.
The Bottom Line:
Ph.D. in Computer Science is an existing course, and pursuing it will be an excellent addition for anyone.. If you need any more information about PhD in Computer science Please contact us
Disclaimer: Studysure does not provide any ready to submit thesis, research papers, or any assistance for peparing thesis, synopsis, research proposals etc.